Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Jumping "Over the Line"

For my reflection piece, I chose my timed write from Intermission 2. The activities of the Intermission 2 unit were my favorite of the quarter and I feel that the resulting paper best demonstrated my ability to analyze a subject. The movie Shawshank Redemption examines the difference between crossing boundaries and being “over the line”. The prompt for the assignment was “The way we determine the boundaries between conformity and non-conformity is based on cultural pressures and messages—from all the communities we consider ourselves an active and supportive part of—as well as personal perspectives drawn from our own experiences and learning. The lines between simple non-conformity and “over the line” are therefore not only cultural but also personal. This timed-write asks you to identify the ways the film and the discussion “tested” these lines.” Through watching this movie and analyzing with classmates in the discussion board, I gained a better understanding of how boundaries are tested. I feel that the final sentences of the essay show my analytical skills “Even though there were clearly boundaries crossed, they did not seem to be bad things when compared to the other things the Warden and guards were doing. To kill, and have no remorse, shows that the Warden and guards had no problem stepping "over the line." The filmmakers did a great job of contrasting the severity of the Warden's corruption and the little boundaries the prisoners crossed.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katherine! What a ride this has been! You should be proud of what you've accomplished in this class, it was extremely challenging. I felt just like you at times, overwhelmed, but I am so glad I stuck it out because the challenge only made me want to do better. I enjoyed working with you and hope that you remember the tough times you were able to overcome in this class when you doubt yourself in future classes. Best of luck on your college journey, I hope it continues to be positive.

    ReplyDelete