Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Getting Back to the Assignment...

I could have chosen any number of pieces for this because I think they all need a revision. I chose this piece because it was the farthest one off the mark. I thought that I was prepared for the timed write. I re-read my notes and post. I had everything printed and ready for reference. I was in a positive frame of mind. I was sure I had a clear understanding of what it means to be an outsider. When I opened the assignment and read the prompt, it was as if every intelligent thought went out of my head. Since this was my first timed write, some of this was test anxiety, I’m sure. I really have no other reasonable explanation for this mess. The prompt was, “demonstrate how the film defines what it is to be an outsider (using one or two characters from the film you chose and discussed) AND how this definition upholds or challenges your own cultural understanding of what it means to be an outsider.” The only thing I could find from the essay that supports the text was “Even though Jamal clearly deserved to go to Callo Mailor, he was still treated as an outsider by both his friends from his old neighborhood and his new classmates. His Professor thought that he could not possibly be there because of his writing ability.” After finishing the rest of the units on community, tradition and Identity, I now have a better understanding of what an outsider is. I hope my revision reflects this understanding. The original is in italics, followed by the revision.

No comments:

Post a Comment